2021 Maryland High School Envirothon

More than 50 teams of high school students from 13 Maryland counties competed in the 30th Annual Maryland Envirothon held virtually April 26 - 29, 2021.

The Envirothon is an intense problem-solving environmental competition for high school students who are passionate about the outdoors and Maryland's natural resources.  Working in teams, students are challenged to identify and categorize living resources, perform soil surveys and solve other complex natural resource issues.  Students are tested on their knowledge of soils, forestry, wildlife and aquatics as they compete for scholarships and prizes.

Allegany County was represented by three teams this year.  At the virtual Awards Ceremony held May 6, 2021, Allegany High School team, The Monsteras, received third place overall!  Mountain Ridge High School placed 26th and Allegany High School's second team, The Rainbow Eucalyptus Trees, placed 30th out of the 51 teams.

Montgomery County's Richard Montgomery High School Team A placed first overall and will represent Maryland at the 2021 National Event scheduled for July 25 - 31st in Lincoln, Nebraska.  They scored an impressive 100 in the Soils Competition!

Harford County's Harford Christian School team, Changing Tides, placed second overall.

To see the results of all teams and all categories, click here.

Maryland Envirothon Soils Pit.jpg

Carl Robinette helps a student at the soil pit during the 2019 Allegany County Envirothon.

Do you need a permit?

The Maryland Department of Agriculture has revised and updated its Farmer's Guide to Environmental Permits.  The Guide serves as a quick reference to help farmers, businesses and individuals comply with Maryland's environmental regulations.  It includes state authorizations issued by the Maryland Departments of Agriculture, Environment and Natural Resources.  A commonly needed federal approval, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' 404 permit, is also included.  The newly revised Farmer's Guide to Environmental Permits is available here.

Farmer's Guide to Environmental Permits.